Red Lentil-Peanut Soup
The inspiration for this soup came from a Weight Watchers recipe for Red Lentil Soup. I made some adjustments as I went along to bulk it up and round out the flavors, so I think it’s safe to post my adaptation. If you’re looking for a comforting, hearty, and filling meal, this soup is for you!
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
– 1/2 tsp ground coriander
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
– 2 medium carrots, chopped
– 2/3 cup chopped tomatoes
– 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup dry red lentils
– 1/2 cup dry green lentils
– 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
– 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
– table salt to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick pot over medium heat.
2. Add spices and stir with a wooden spoon until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Add chopped pepper, carrots, and tomatoes. Continue stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add broth, lentils, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover loosely, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
5. Using an immersion blender (or a food processor if you don’t have an immersion blender), blend soup. to desired consistency.
6. Add peanut butter and yogurt, and blend again.
7. Season to taste with salt.
This recipe makes about six 1-cup servings. Nutrition information per serving: 339 calories, 13.7 g fat, 37.7 g carbs (12.2 grams fiber, 4.6 grams sugar), 19.4 g protein.
6 thoughts on “Red Lentil-Peanut Soup”
This sounds like a wonderful recipe!! It’s on my “to make” list!
I made this recipe tonight (in a half batch) and it was sooooo very good. Nice job! I absolutely love every flavor in it, and I could taste each one individually! Yay. 🙂
I am making this soup now! It’s simmering and it smells delicious!
Thank you, I’ve just been searching for information approximately this subject for a while and yours is the best I have found out so far. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?
When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is
added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove people from that
service? Bless you!