The cake … errr, the ceremony

So, yesterday was the wedding that brought me down to Charlotte in the first place! As I mentioned before, my old college roommate Ilin was getting married. There was lots of delicious food all afternoon/evening long, but first …

Ilin and I were placed together freshman year at NYU (in 2000!) as roommates, along with Coonoor. Here’s our very first day in the big city, awwwww:

roommatesbehind

Ilin and I continued to live together for our sophomore and junior years. Here we are junior year after the short walk from our dorm down to Battery Park to see the sights (i.e. Statue of Liberty in the background) because we thought we should:

statue

Here’s the bride in action yesterday with her daddy:

img_8171

Getting handed off:

img_8174

After the ceremony, we went through the receiving line:

img_8190

And then Wife (fyi, in case you missed this before, Wife’s real name is Laura — Wife is a nickname we have for each other left over from college!) and I headed downstairs to partake in the “light refreshments.”

img_8182

We couldn’t get over how much food there was, especially knowing that a full buffet dinner was also in the cards! I loaded up on produce and a little slice of turkey wrap:

img_8184

On monogrammed napkins!

img_8185

And fruit with a dollop of cream cheese dip:

img_8188

I had two plates of fruit, plus a few more grab-and-go-bites.

img_8186

I probably would have kept going on the fruit, but I had put Wife in charge of managing my food pace. She saw where I was headed and dragged me away from the food table, thank goodness!

We climbed back upstairs, and the cake soon made its big debut:

img_8198

img_8199

I couldn’t stop taking pictures.

weddingphotimg_8202

img_8213

I had one piece:

img_8218

This was honestly one of the best wedding cakes I’ve ever tasted! The cake itself was moist and very chocolate-y and only moderately sweet, and it combined perfectly with the strawberry filling and buttercream icing.

img_82221

It was so delicious, in fact, that I went back for another small piece. Wife tried to stop me, but I was unstoppable.

img_8223

After cake #2, Wife finally succeeded in dragging me out of this room as well so that we could make our way over to the second wedding event: the dinner reception! Coming soon …

Describe the best wedding (or other) cake you’ve ever tasted 😀

17 thoughts on “The cake … errr, the ceremony

1. Alison says:

“Wife” had a beautiful dress! The cake looked fabulous! I don’t normally like cake that much. For our wedding, I gave the guests a choice of desserts rather than a traditional cake. I chose cheesecake…yummy.

2. Taylor says:

Awww how cute, I love weddings!
    Luckly the snacks were very healthy. All the weddings I go to have way UNhealthy food. Chocolate fountains & chocolate-covered strawberries! Okay, I’ve only been to one wedding lol.. 🙂
    But, the cake does look delicious!!

Best cake I’ve had? Cookies & Cream ice cream cake from Coldstone Creamery. Hah, nothing fancy.. But it was AMAZING! 😀

3. Kimberly says:

Yay, NYU dorms 🙂 I was in Rubin freshman year, and am still best friends with the girls and guys that lived across the hall. Congrats to to your friend!

4. snackface says:

Awww, the wedding pics melt my heart!

Is it normal to have cake before dinner? I guess I haven’t been to a wedding since I was 6 or 7, so I have no clue. It is beautiful, though! And it sounds amazing.

The best cake I think I’ve had was a homemade carrot cake with cream cheese icing. I was in high school when I made it, but I still remember that beauty. I also like any chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Yummm. OH! The Great Wall of Chocolate at P.F. Changs is so darn good, too! I used to eat one all by myself with I was in 9th grade. I didn’t bat an eye at how bad that was for me. Whatevs, I survived 🙂

I’m sorry I haven’t kept up with the comments, but I did just catch up since the Kath visit (which was amazing).

Anyway, hope the rest of your weekend is lovely!

5. fitforfree says:

Sarah, i love the recap, and pics of you guys in NYC during college – SO cute and makes me miss my early days at barnard!!!

Can’t wait to read your recap of the ceremony!

6. Jessica (jesslikesithot) says:

Aww it sounds like you are having such a great weekend!!! That cake does look heavenly!! My favorite cake is carrot cake! I had a vegan one from this vegetarian thai restaurant a month or 2 ago, and then before that was carrot cake, again!….from my brother’s wedding!!

7. broccolihut says:

That cake is simply gorgeous!

Two fave cakes:

-My sister’s wedding cake: Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting (snowflake design!)
    -My mom’s spice cake with maple frosting…cuz nothing beats Mom’s baking:)

8. Amy says:

That cake is blue and BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

And all that fruit! Mouth-watering! Your friend did a fantastic job planning the food portion of her wedding, for sure.

9. stefan4m says:

gee, thanks for the pics! 🙂 I was wondering who has pictures from the wedding…. I simply could not take pics of my own bro’s wedding, since I was part of the family…. and yeah, looks like u had a good time! 🙂
    Stefan