Splitsville

As I was contemplating what to make for breakfast that would best use the extra things in my fridge before I leave for the weekend, I read Broccoli Hut‘s comment about healthy banana splits! Just like that, breakfast was born πŸ™‚

IMG_0162

IMG_0152My current batch of yogurt isn’t strained, so I needed something to thicken it up: chia pudding! Two packages from Oh!Nuts and Navitas Naturals came in quite handy. These have to be the jumbo-est Medjool dates I’ve ever seen:

IMG_0153

I followed Kristen’s holiday chia pudding recipe, but I took out the “holiday” (cloves, ginger, lucuma) because I just wanted vanilla. Also, I halved everything except the chia seeds and added 1/2 cup of yogurt. I probably should have taken out the water completely and only used yogurt because it didn’t get as thick as I wanted, but oh well! For today, I just popped it all in the freezer for a bit to get some firmness.

I split the 1/2 banana I had left and decorated it with my three flavors and some extras:

IMG_0174

The vanilla scoop (plain chia pudding-yogurt):

IMG_0160

The chocolate scoop (1/4 mashed avocado, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp chia pudding-yogurt):

IMG_0157

The berry scoop (chia pudding-yogurt mixed with chopped blackberries):

IMG_0158

Topped with flax seeds, hemp seeds (some seem to have sprouted, hence the green), and cereal (and sided with yerba mate):

IMG_0173

Right after breakfast, I’m off to my last class (where I think a last class celebration will be taking place) and, from there, on a bus to Providence. I wonder if Peter Pan will have Internet on the bus again?

What are your three ideal split scoop flavors?

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my brother Mark!!!!! Yay for May birthdays πŸ˜€

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Splitsville

1. Erin says:

Yay for last classes!
    Will you please come make me breakfast? You are so creative. I would have eaten oats with a banana on top.
    3 scoops? Vanilla, Pumpkin, and Cake batter.

2. Meghan Telpner says:

Yummy healthy breakfast. I would recommend grinding the flaxseeds first. Our sweet little bodies often have a challenge breaking down those seeds- so get the benefit- ground is best!

3. brandi says:

ooh, enjoy your last class! and happy birthday to your brother!

3 flavors:
    mint chocolate chip
    rocky road
    raspberry

what can I say – I like to live dangerously when it comes to ice cream

4. Diana (Soap & Chocolate) says:

How do I feel about dessert for breakfast? Pretty much the same way I feel about it for lunch…and dinner…and snacks…yeah it’s all good any time of day. πŸ™‚

And yeah I can identify with needing to leave town to relax. I try to go to CT or Boston whenever possible because it is night and day difference between those weekends vs. the ones I spend at home, when I inevitably rush around during the first half of Saturday so I feel like I “can” relax for the rest of the weekend. Have a great time at home!

5. luckytastebuds says:

hmmm your banana split looks like it’s got some major ice cream melting issues, but the flavors seem like they’d be divine!!! My ideal 3 would be green tea, honey comb chamomile, and taro!!!! hehehehe πŸ˜› wait a go me…a banana split i’ll sadly never find. booo

6. Christina says:

ah I want to make chia pudding SO bad but can’t find the seeds. I’ve been searching for a month now! Maybe it’s time to breakdown and buy online.

Hope you have a great trip back home!

7. janetha says:

daaang delicious bfast! good photos, good food.

only three? vanilla bean (yes it has to be the bean, not just plain old vanilla), coffee almond and strawberry.

xo!