Don’t fear the curd

My oats this morning were partly overnighted and partly cooked … and they spontaneously took shape as one of my favorite desserts of all time 😀

Last night, I mixed 1/4 cup steel-cut oats with 2 tbsp soymilk, 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp yogurt, 1 small chopped apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, and cloves.

This morning at the gym was arms + steps/elliptical: 1 hour and 14 minutes, 392 calories, average heart rate 119, max 179. When I got home, I transferred the bowl of oats from the fridge to the oven for 30 minutes covered at 375 while I got ready.

Post-oven, the oats went on a bed of lemon custard (1/3 cup yogurt mixed with 1 tsp lemon curd). I topped them with 2 crumbled basil-spice meringue kisses, 2 balsamic-strawberry oaties with homemade cashew-almond butter tips, and another dollop of my forbidden food:

YUM! It was warm and fluffy and tasted like lemon meringue pie 😀

Many of you commented that you’ve never heard of lemon curd but that it sounds gross. Leave it to the British to give something so heavenly a name like curd. However, if you like lemon pudding, lemon cake, lemon meringue pie, or any other lemon-themed dessert, really, I’m pretty sure you’d be a fan of lemon curd.

What are some foods that you love despite their off-putting names?

Giveaways of the Day:

1. YOUBars and YOUShakes at Run to the Finish.

2. Coupons for free yogurt (enter before 3pm EST) at Say Yes to Salad.

15 thoughts on “Don’t fear the curd

1. snackface says:

Haha curd and turd! Okay, sorry. Breakfast looks incredible! I’d say that even the sounds of things like tempeh and tofu aren’t necessarily pleasing to the ear, and then by some they are already associated with negative feelings. I love them both.

2. dailydulcie says:

I just had lemon-meringue pie at my best friends house last night! What a coincidence! It was so goood. So I’m sure I’d love the lemon curd.

Tofurky is a strange name; however, I still really like it!

3. Erin says:

The Brits -always classy.
    Lemon curd is seriously good. My dad used to make me toast with cottage cheese (curd number one) and lemon curd (curd number two) in middle school! It was a great breakfast!
    However, it doesn’t hold a candle to yours – DAYum!
    Nice workout! 🙂
    And lastly…hmm. It’s not a food, but I love foods that are MUSHy and that’s kind of a gross word.

4. Becca A says:

I love the uses you are coming up with for the lemon curd.

Its not something I’ve ever had but I find the term “sweetbreads” very misleading. I believe its veal thyroid gland…I don’t think I could get myself to eat it, but I really have to wonder how it got that name…

Kombucha sounds funky but I’m loving that stuff…

5. carolinebee says:

hha curd does sound gross- aren’t cottage cheese thingies called curds?? I think everything about cottage cheese is gross, the name, the look- but damn I can down it by the carton!

6. erin says:

hey – ever had clotted cream? i avoided it like the plague when i was in england because of the name. i finally broke down recently and tried it. it’s basically like a creamy butter-type thing. they put it on scones. not too bad, but i still won’t go out of my way to eat it!